Friday, January 15, 2016

The scrapbooker's lament - I know I’ve got it here somewhere


I bought eight (very expensive) packages of Jolie’s Big Ben stickers for my first England scrapbook - I kept going back to A.C. Moore and buying the same ones over and over again because I forgot what I had stashed away.  Unfortunately, when I finally got around to making the scrapbook, I discovered that I only took two photos of Big Ben.  I really liked those stickers but there was no way to put all eight of them on one page with just two 4X6 prints.  Ok, problem solved. I simply took another trip to London in 2014 so I could use up the stickers.  I know, the solution was a bit extreme but all my scrapbooking friends agreed that it was the best alternative.  On my second trip, I purposely took nine pictures of Big Ben (enough for three great layouts) and now I can’t find those stupid leftover stickers from my original trip.
This cautionary tale of illusive stickers illustrates the need to keep scrapbook projects and materials organized.  Maria Gracia of Get Organized Now writes in her blog that getting scrapbook supplies into some sort of orderly storage makes them easier to retrieve when needed and helps to eliminate duplicate purchases.  Why didn’t I read this before I spent $40 on those Big Bens? Her 50 Ideas to Get Organized and Enjoy Your Scrapbooking Hobby includes:
USE WHAT YOU HAVE FIRST. Resist the urge to buy a million new papers, punches, and so on, until you’ve used some of the craft supplies you already have. Unless you’re planning on opening a  scrapbooking warehouse, it’s best to be choosy before emptying your wallet on new items, when you already have items you could use in  your current supply.”
 
 
But beware!  Scrapbook organization is not for the faint-of-heart. Keeping paper organized is hard enough but adding punches, stickers, and embellishments takes Herculean effort.   And some of the organizational systems on the market are outrageously expensive - the Cadillac of scrapbook organization, The Original Scrapbox, costs over $1200.  But scrapbookers don’t have to invest in specialized furniture to get everything in its place. Inexpensive plastic containers, jars, and even Ziplock bags work great for taming scrapbook clutter.  Scrapbook blogger Kim Layton says “I don’t want to stash things away where I’ll never see them, so I try to organize in a way that keeps my pretty supplies in sight and right at my fingertips when creativity strikes.”  Her 12 creative and inexpensive storage ideas are budget-friendly and cover many types of scrapbooking necessities.  
 
 
Just as much effort should go into craft room design as goes into designing a scrapbook page. The team at Apartments.com says “Turning your chaotic scrapbook room into a place you love requires some creativity and planning. It should be as inviting to look at as a favorite page in your scrapbook.” Their website offers 8 organization tips that work for any size space.   However, if your interior design experience is limited to watching Joanna Gaines on HGTV as she effortlessly creates a craft room on Fixer-Upper, you should probably get some practical advice from The Keeper of Memories before you begin.  If I had only seen her blog post 5 Mistakes to Avoid When Organizing Your Creative Space sooner, I might not still be hunting for Big Ben.
 

I started this hobby (read that “obsession”) in 1999 and I have seen many new innovations. My daughter-in-law will look at my latest scrapbook and remark, “Oh, I see you got a ______________ (fill in the blank with snowflake punch, tag maker, paper crimper, corner rounder, etc.)” Something new comes along, all my friends have it and I believe I can’t be creative without it.  I convince myself it will be perfect for scrapbooking my trip to Hawaii, or France, or my Christmas 2008 photos, or my nephew’s graduation party, or some other “pending” project on my to-do list yet many of these must-haves now sit abandoned because something else came along.  Organizing expert Aby Garvey founded simplify 101 on the philosophy that life is more fun when things are organized.  Her affordable online classes let clients “create customized organizing systems that cut clutter and reduce stress.” Aby writes, “It’s perfectly acceptable to donate unused supplies. Simply grab a bag and collect a few easy items… and donate your castoffs to a local school, daycare center or retirement center.”  From her lips to God’s ears.
 
 
 
Scrapbook blogger Ali Edwards sums up the real reason to get organized. “Remember, my goal is to not spend a lot of time organizing stuff. My goal is to make stuff… I want options… not excess. I don't need every color of album, every letter sticker option, etc. I want breathing room in here.”  My thoughts exactly.
 

4 comments:

  1. Have a ton of pics and books in which to put them... just never find the time. One day my kids will each have there own scrap book. Loved your sticker story.-Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is exactly what I needed to read! I have old photos in boxes that need organization. UGH! The hard part is getting started...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This post is exactly what I needed to read! I have old photos in boxes that need organization. UGH! The hard part is getting started...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I admire how you took something that was an issue in the beginning and solved it with a resolution. It was interesting because I felt this blog was both informal and personal. It gave a lot of information that was useful and you were coming from the perspective of someone who has issues with keeping all of their things together. Which is just about everyone who stores things. -Jamie

    ReplyDelete