Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Women, Weightlifting, and Schwarzenegger (by Jenny Gordon)

I’m thin.  I’m not a stick but I fit squarely in the thin category.  And yet it bothers me when I gain 10-15 pounds and my clothes no longer fit.  When that happens, I usually join Weight Watchers and use their app to count points and lose the ten pounds.  I add in a little cardio as well for good measure.  Two years later I’m back up to where I was and the process repeats itself. 

Everything changed when my boyfriend joined a CrossFit/Strength training gym six months ago, Crossfit Retribution.  He was introduced to the world of weightlifting.  For months he begged me to check it out.  In my mind, if I started weightlifting, my thighs (my problem area) would get even bigger.  And I was worried I’d look like this:


I was completely wrong.  I joined the gym and now I love it.  Here is what I’ve learned from two short months of doing a strength training program:

1.)    Lift weights!  My trainer (a toned and feminine looking woman I might add) introduced me to the world of dead lifts, shoulder press, bench press, and squats.  I started out by lifting lighter weights and we focused on form.  The first night I attempted a 30 pound squat and just about fell over because I was so weak.  I didn’t give up and the next week I squatted 35 pounds.  After two months I successfully did an 80 pound squat.

2.)    Follow a macronutrient plan!  Download the free app My Fitness Pal so you can track your macronutrients (or macros) each day.  My trainer, Nicole, tells me what level of macros to consume but you can also find an online Macro calculator.   It will tell you how many calories to eat, as well as how many grams of fat, proteins and carbs to consume.  All are essential for building lean muscle.  I’m allowed 1800 calories per day which isn’t restrictive at all.  

3.)    Buy a good protein powder!  Many women do not eat enough protein and I was one of them.  Unless you like eating meat all day long, you will probably want to supplement your protein goal using a powder.  I put a scoop in my green smoothie every morning and another scoop in a protein shake in the afternoon.  Here is one of my favorites – MusclePharm Combat Protein Powder Chocolate Milk.

As I followed this plan, I started noticing even though I worked out very hard, I wasn’t very sore the next day.  Consuming the proper amount of protein can help with soreness.  One night in the shower I lifted my arm and saw a muscle that wasn’t there before.  Then I saw a new muscle in my leg.  One month into the program I moved in with my boyfriend.  I was lifting heavy moving boxes and I wasn’t in pain.  Next I started feeling thinner and more toned.  I measured my waist and thighs and they were smaller.  My midsection was flatter and starting to get definition.  After two months of staying on the same macro eating plan, I started getting very hungry.  Nicole told me that’s because I had built so much muscle and now needed more calories to sustain my body.  So she increased my macros and I’m now eating almost 2000 calories per day.  Oh and I’m down 5 pounds and have hit my goal weight.  What's more fun than eating MORE and still losing weight? 
Nicole showing me proper squat positioning
Weightlifting has many more benefits, which you can read about here.  Ladies are you strong enough? It’s written by the guy who owns my gym.  He knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.

Now that I’ve experienced the joys of weightlifting, I know that a more realistic image of a woman who strength trains is this:


Weight training has changed my body more than restrictive dieting and cardio has ever done.  Since I’ve started I’ve made huge gains in the gym:  

  • Bench press - up 22.5 pounds 









  • Squats – up 50 pounds

  • Dead lift - up 45 pounds (I’m only 10 pounds away from dead lifting my body weight)










  • Shoulder press – up 17.5 pounds













And those jiggly thighs I had?  They’re practically gone.  So the next time someone says you’re going to look like Schwarzenegger if you weight lift, you can tell them how wrong they are!



4 comments:

  1. Great post, Jenny. I started lifting weights at 15 to get bigger for football. I was 6'2" and 150lbs at the time! Skinny doesn't begin to describe it...

    I've been at it for 20 years seriously, 27 years in total. I used to be in competitive Olympic-style lifting and Powerlifting. So the emphasis was always weight, not physique. Getting a better body was always a nice side effect!

    I gotta say, I like what lifting does TO me, but even more, I like what it does FOR me. It centers me, gives an ongoing disciple that I've mimicked in other life areas, and it is something I've earned. Like most things, you get what you give. Working out is no exception.

    At 42, some cumulative injuries have mounted. But you know what? Even with some limitations, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I can still bench press 405, still DEEP squat 515, strict military press 245...so I'm still in good shape in those regards. I ruptured my biceps tendon in 2010 (the meat came off the bone while curling, and my bicep literally rolled up my arm), so I won't deadlift over 455 anymore. My all-time best was 635, 600 in competition.

    I say all that to say this: the process is BETTER than the outcome. Getting into lifting, especially doing it hard, tells you me what I'm made of, places me face to face with my limitations, and let's me still make progress at any age. It's healthy for my body, but also my head.

    Greg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great posts Jenny, as a female personal trainer this is my daily battle. "Don't get too ripped" I hear all too often. There are so many more benefits to weightlifting than just physical. THe psychological benefits are just as important. I think the most awesome thing about the fitness industry is you are allowed to be who you want to be and accomplish what you want. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be a ripped chick and there is nothing wrong with not wanting too big of muscles. I prefer to be pretty cut up, I love the feeling it gives me knowing I am able to push my body beyond the limits of an average person. - Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super impressive and informative! I am a yogi and I can tell you that while I don't lift weights, yoga poses such as planks and boat poses use gravity to have the same result. I was mortified that I had developed pecs but I loved the six pack! They are since buried under a gentle layer of flab due to laziness and inconsistency but thank you for motivating me! Nothing like impressing the men with toned arms ;-) Allison Miller

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post, Jenny! Very informative and a well done curated post. I enjoyed your visual support, as well as your links to the outside sources. It kept my attention and interest and made me want to look into Crossfit and see what all the fuss is about! -Molly

    ReplyDelete