Saturday, January 16, 2016

Character Development

What does it mean to have a passion for something? Is it dedication to learning more about the subject? The emotional rush you get just thinking let alone take part in it? No matter what it is, you can tell when someone has a passion for something merely by their eyes, there seems to be a spark, the person won’t stop talking about it, soon it becomes an essential part of who we are. So, what is it like to be passionate about something, is it something simple and finite or complicated and infinite source of dedication. For everyone, it is different, yet as humans, we find ways to communicate, even if not so clearly, our feelings towards subjects in hopes we can find someone else who feels the same.

Owner of the Gif set Tumblr site


So why talk about emotions and all that jazz? Well, for me my passion is in animation from videos, video games and webcomics. For those who do not know, webcomics have different styles of portrayal now. You can vary not only by panel size, a number of panels, or by pages numbers but also on how it is presented, such as in animating one of the batman’s fighting scenes through the use of gifts. 



But I should refine my answer because while it is true I love to partake in all of the above, a habit I have formed is a to start analyzing character developments, theorize over the plot as it continues, and the reasons behind viewers reactions.I think it started as a kid since I was always player 3, aka if the console was only for two players my brother handed me a remote and told me to pretend. So I did, I tried to imagine what it would be like to be in character shoes' for games and it soon spread to other types of media. Eventually, I began to watch game  runs(recordings of other people playing a game), or people’s recordings of their reactions to games and shows to compare reactions on youtube, which now has its own section.

Origin of gif
There are multiple ways stories can start and end. I once had a conversation with asked a friend of mine who loves to write stories why his protagonists are always underdogs. His answer was that it is the number one way to grab a reader’s attention because, in truth, we all can relate to them. Disney uses this ploy often like in the movie Hercules. The thing about underdogs is, each and everyone one of us, cheers for a flawed individual who wants to make a 
difference even if their goals seem higher than they could hope to 
achieve. And when they do succeed, we feel that sense of satisfaction
 even though it wasn’t truly our own.

But that is only one type of character development. Another ploy is the misunderstood character, like Fa Mulan. Her goal is to bring honor to her family but she cannot achieve it through the traditional path. 
Now I'm not saying defeating the Huns, saving the emperor of China and China itself isn’t a cool heroine’s journey,
but the thing about these types of stories is that it feeds into the viewers need for an acceptance of self and from others.


I think what I like to analyze most is the surroundings of an individual. I mean not every character starts off as a good guy and stays good and vice versa. I mean views change throughout a plot due to morals and ideals being a challenge throughout series of events. There are games, such as the inFamous series in which the morality of your actions you choose determines how you develop and the end; which is the type of playing formats more video game developers are trying to adopt and adapt to.


Overall, I love playing or viewing these as a fan not only for the plot but for the development through out a journey of a character, even if it isn’t the protagonists’ because I can always find one way or another to relate to them. I believe it is part of what makes us human, to be able to find that connection and sometimes imagine ourselves in that position. So, as a story lover, I would like to ask, what is your favorite story?
Picture by Ashley from her amazing site


S.Oliva

No comments:

Post a Comment