Saturday, January 16, 2016

The Top Eight NASCAR racetracks I need to visit (by Jenny Gordon)

I never gave NASCAR a single thought until I met Dale.  No, not Dale Earnhardt Jr., the NASCAR driver.  Dale Klonin, my boyfriend.  He spent a lot of Sundays watching NASCAR on television which I found pretty boring.  Until he actually took me to a race.  We went to the AAA 400 Sprint Cup in Dover, Delaware and it was awesome.  NASCAR is far more exciting in person.  From the shopping to the food to the tailgating, it’s nothing but fun.  We had a prime view of the entire track from our seats and it was exciting to watch the cars race.  And unlike football and baseball stadiums that charge you $10 for a beer, we were able to bring a cooler full of alcoholic beverages into the stands with us!  I picked a favorite driver that day – Kasey Kahne.  Granted, Kasey is also Dale’s favorite driver and that’s partially why I picked him, but he’s also the cutest one.  Hey, gimme a break, I’m new to NASCAR!  Picking the cute one that your boyfriend likes too is a good starting strategy!

Dale and me from our seats at Dover

Fast forward to today.  Dale and I are buying an RV soon and plan on attending many NASCAR races this year.  The tracks allow fans to camp in RV’s.  This got me to thinking about the top tracks I need to check out:

8.) Darlington, SC.  Travel time from my house – 7 ½ hours.  The track at Darlington is egg-shaped which is unusual for a NASCAR track.  Apparently it had to be built around a minnow pond that the owner didn’t want to move.  It’s called “The Track Too Tough to Tame" because drivers frequently bounce off the wall.  Those who hit it are said to have received their “Darlington Stripe” which refers to the missing paint on the right side of the vehicle.

A car getting its Darlington Stripe
7.) Las Vegas, NV.  Travel time from my house – 37 ½ hours.  Okay, so we may not be taking the RV here.  Probably flying to this one.  And nothing in particular stands out about this track but … VEGAS BABY!
The Las Vegas strip
6.) Bristol, TN.  Travel time from my house – 6 ½ hours.  At just ½ mile, Bristol has one of the shortest tracks in NASCAR.  It’s known as the “world’s fastest half mile” and one of the loudest NASCAR tracks.  The track is the fourth largest sports venue in the US and the eighth largest in the world, holding 160,000 fans.  One of the highlights is watching the haulers that carry the race cars in a parade through the town of Bristol. Hauler Parade

5.) Watkins Glen, NY.  Travel time from my house – 4 hours.  Public roads in the town of Watkins Glen were originally used for the course.   Quite honestly, the biggest attraction is the track is in the middle of the Finger Lakes region of New York – WINE COUNTRY.  I’ve been there several times and need an excuse to go back.  Especially to sample some more award-winning Riesling from Hermann J. Wiemer winery.  Hermann J. Wiemer winery

4.) Talladega, AL.  Travel time from my house – 12 hours.  Talladega is known for having the longest track in NASCAR at 2.66 miles.  It also holds the record for the fastest time recorded for a NASCAR driver- 216.309 miles per hour, which was set by Rusty Wallace in 2004.  And one of the few Will Ferrell movies I actually find funny is based on this track – “Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby.”  Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby

3.) Indianapolis, IN.  Travel time from my house – 9 hours.  Everyone has heard of the Indianapolis 500, right?  Not a NASCAR race.  Fooled you, right?  It’s an Indy car race.  The NASCAR race at Indianapolis is called the Brickyard 400.  The track was built in 1909 and is the world’s largest highest capacity sports venue.  It seats 257,325 people.  It is also the only NASCAR track to be named a National Historic Landmark.
Vintage ad for the Indianapolis Speedway
2.) Charlotte, NC
.  Travel time from my house – 7 ½ hours.  This is the only track that hosts three races a year.  The NASCAR Hall of Fame is located in Charlotte, as well as the headquarters of most of the racing teams.  As a result, Charlotte motor speedway is considered the home track for NASCAR.
Vintage cars at the NASCAR Hall of Fame

1.) Daytona, FL.  Travel time from my house - 13 1/2 hours.  Daytona is where NASCAR began.  It's known as "Mecca" to NASCAR fans.  It also hosts the first race of the season. Besides, Florida beaches are nearby.  What could be better?  Daytona - where NASCAR began  

Looks like my 2016 will be full of travel as I start checking these tracks off my list.  And what could be more appropriate than watching NASCAR races with a man named Dale by my side?









2 comments:

  1. My husband is a NASCAR fan and although I never got hooked on the sport, I did go to a race with him at Richmond International Raceway (which you did not include on your list). We did not camp out, we stayed with my brother Scott who lives in Richmond. Even though we had earplugs,I couldn't hear anything but roaring in my head for several hours after the checkered flag. - Denise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Richmond is another track I will eventually check out. I forgot to mention that Dale has noise-cancelling headsets so we can talk to each other and they block out most of the noise from the cars. They are mandatory as far as I'm concerned! :) -Jenny

      Delete