Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Just Another Part of the Hardy Party


From oldest to youngest
Growing up in a big family actually sucks….said no one ever. Lies, I am sure someone somewhere hated their experience growing up in a big family but not this girl. Sure, there were times where you could swear we were in a WWE match up but there were also times where we had an entire kickball team made up entirely of siblings. Overall, there were so many more pros to growing up in a big family than there were cons and I am excited to share with you what growing up in a big family taught me.

There is so much I learned from growing up in a big family and I wouldn't trade those experiences for the world. I learned what it means to share, to lead, to follow, to be open, social, outgoing, and what it means to also be independent. Although I always had someone to depend on my siblings taught me what it meant to be independent, not just another Hardy in the world, my siblings made me ready for the world.

18 Struggles I Would Never Take Back


My siblings taught me how to work for the things I want in life. Life isn't easy growing up in a big family, it is full of hand me downs and at times living in your siblings shadows. But, in the end those moments are totally worth it. Because I never grew up with the ability to receive hand outs (not knocking those who have) I learned early on what it meant to work hard for the things I want in this life and I developed a fierce appreciation for the things I was able to acquire.

My siblings taught me how to be a leader. At times you are constantly living in your siblings shadows. "Hardy, are you so and  so? YES, yes I am." You learn to torch your own paths while learning from your sibling's footsteps. More importantly my siblings taught me how to be a team player. Growing up in a large family you learn very quickly what it means to compromise. Things don't/can't always go your way and every person has a unique skill to bring to the table. My siblings taught me how to embrace skills from others and encourage their leadership outside of my own.

All six of us have very different personalities and learning to adjust to each personality taught us life lessons we will forever appreciate. You encounter so many different types of people in the world and sometimes that is a hard adjustment to make. Growing up with a mini melting pot of my own taught me how to be open, social, welcoming, and accepting of the differences each person brought to the table. I can't preach enough on how this skill helped me with my first two absolutely evil college roommates.

The Sibling Effects We All Know To Be True



My siblings taught me what it means to be vulnerable yet strong. I can't imagine the issues my parent's dealt with on a daily basis growing up. They had six very different personalities each bringing their own drama and looking back there were a lot of times where we had to deal with our own issues. Our parents were very good at picking their battles, they knew when to step in and when to let us learn on our own. From the times they stepped back they taught us how to work out our problems with each other developing crucial communication skills, and they taught us how to be strong even when we felt our worlds were "falling apart".

Oddly, my siblings taught me how to be okay alone. Growing up with a lot of siblings you often times struggle to find yourself in alone time. Nothing is ever quiet, and you are never alone. Growing up I never knew what it meant to appreciate the silence and although I fully appreciate the noise I now understand the beauty that is moments of silence. This oddly also increased a drive for me to move far away on my own. I adore my siblings but growing up without the experience of ever being alone increased a drive for me to embark on adventures where I found myself the most vulnerable and I love that they taught me that.

And one of the most important lessons my siblings taught me was to never give up. One of the best things about being on the younger end of the sibling spectrum is that I got to learn from my siblings mistakes and their successes. I have loved nothing more than watching them continuously pursue and succeed at their dreams. The road hasn't been easy for any of us but watching them spring forth with resilience has taught me the true definition of never give up.

There are so many other things my siblings taught me and these are just a few. From never falling short of having someone to play with to growing older and having someone to laugh with my siblings taught me overall that growing up in a big family is hands down the best thing ever.




2 comments:

  1. Loved your blog! I am 1 of 4 (not as big as your family) and we are all still very close as grown-ups.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was such a feel-good piece. I loved it. I too appreciate everything I learned from my siblings. I like the variety of things you shared from growing up in a big family. I had never thought about all the things you shared that siblings teach us. Great job! - Jenny Gordon

    ReplyDelete