Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Geeks In The Kitchen

Since I was a little kid, there was a saying I kept hearing over and over again. “A way to a person’s heart is through their stomach.” At first, I never believed it until I recognized 3 things, One I love my family and friends, two I am a fluffy person, and three even if I am not the one doing the work in the kitchen, I am still the food tester, aka the one who double checks if it is good. Jokes aside, I grew up loving food, whether eating it, cooking for others or myself, and I even watch people cook on tv. Ironically, it is a great motivator for me to watch the Food Network and Travel Channel’s cooking shows while on a treadmill, if I can’t eat it, might as well see someone else enjoy it. But, as I have said before in previous blog posts, there is another love in my life, also known as video games and other fandoms whether animated or murder mystery like Bones.  

So allow me to ask you now, if you found out that two of your favorite things combined to create something magnificent, Would You Be Able To Handle It?

Batman, and 3 robins including Dick Grayson

I literally had to be told to calm down and breathe when I found out that some YouTubers have started hosting fandom-cooking shows. I have multiple debates over if some of these recipes could be reproduced or if they existed, would they be as delicious as they appear. If anything, most recipes I have seen so far I love and try to cook as well, especially around new season premieres. 


Thus, without further ado, I would like to introduce you to Nerdy Nummies, the Show and now cookbook, started by the young YouTuber Rosanna Pasino. Not only is she a New York Times Best Selling Author, but she also comes up with insanely unique recipes to either recreate foods from different fandoms or fandom inspired recipes. Not to mention she hasn't let any of her new fame in the community change her as an individual. If anything she now uses her channel to show new sides to other YouTubers who she invites to the kitchen, some I would have never imagined in a kitchen, or in the case of smosh, I imagined the need of a fire extinguisher. She is very warm to her followers and shares parts of her life with them which in a way creates a really nice reaction and confidence which also makes you want to try her cooking as well. She even takes request and challenges. If you don't believe me, check out her channel or her recap of just 2015.


Another Youtube channel, which is not too famous quite yet but is slowly getting more attention is Feast of Fiction. Along with his humorous introductions to each video, he has been creating recipes based on  fandoms as well, and he also does his research on some of these. An example of this is his recipe based of The Legend of Korra's famous Water Tribe Noodles, since it is no secret that the different region in the fictitious world is partially based off our own, he tried to pinpoint where the noodles could have probably originated from. He varyies from well known to not so well known shows/ fandom recipes and also takes request.  One of his most recent videos was in tribute for the newest addition to the Starwars movie, The Force Awakens. Like most fans, a major change we all noticed when being reintroduced to Princess Leia, now a General in the resistance, is that she no longer has her iconic buns. Thus, a new cinnamon bun recipe. 



If anything, the general curiosity of "if it would taste good" or "how it will taste if created" is a question that I think we all think of at least once in a while when watching a show. To me, these are two of my favorite people to follow when it comes to food while geeking out. So now I ask, what would you recreate in the kitchen?


S.Oliva




1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! Can't wait to get this cookbook now so I think that means you nailed it! This is such a popular topic right now and so relevant to what is going on in the world of youtube and pop culture. I loved it and I loved the tone you used. It was fun and informational and if there are people out there who have kids this is something that can get them on the same page at least for a few moments. Can't wait to make some nerdy nummies with my own little nerd. :) Jen P

    ReplyDelete