Tuesday, January 12, 2016

He's Out of this World!


"David Bowie was an inspiration to me, even though was not alive at the peak of his fame. He taught me that even if I look a little different or act a little different, I can still succeed."
-Isla Marie

She wanted me to be sure to mention that she's 12. Yes 12 years old, born in 2003. As she mentioned, she wasn't even on this earth when David Bowie had reached his peak, even so she managed to be graced by him. Her perspective on life has been enlighten, thanks to David Bowie. Of course her and millions of other people have experience the awesomeness that is David Bowie. The most interesting part about it, is that those people may not have even had known the effect that he may have had on them.

A swell example of this scenario, would be myself. Ridding in the car with my father on the way home from running some errands, I hear on the radio about David's death. That moment I ask my father quite candidly "Who the heck is David Bowie?" my father wasn't all that amused by my reaction. He told me that David was famous in his time and that he wasn't surprised that I didn't know him. My father saying that, peeked my interest just a little. "Who was he? What did he do? Why are we announcing his death?" Heck I hope I'm famous enough some day for my death to be announced on the radio, but I digress. My dad told me that David was a famous singer and writer. In my mind, I figured the guy must have been pretty cool, and I let the thought pass.


                 It wasn't until I looked into this wonderful person a little further that I realized, that he had shook my whole world from the inside out. He did this in such a swift and moving way and I didn't even know it was David. Through his role as the Goblin King in the Labyrinth I could never see the world or my family the same again. That was my reaction to him as a child. I first saw the movie when I was in grade school. Most of the other kids in the class were either deeply enthused as I was, or they were horrifyingly scared for life. Either way, watching that movie is an enchanting experience. But that just so happen to be the way that Bowie got to me. 
                 To my surprise years later, he had pulled the same jive on me again. In 2015 the movie The Martian came out featuring the song Starman. Okay, I'm sorry, but I LOVE THAT SONG!! I know caps are cliche. I apologize if my excitement was unsettling, but that's my honest reaction to that song, Bowie's song. Here's my point. I hadn't a clue that song was done by David Bowie. I fell in love with that song almost instantly. It was insane, as if I was being drafted into another world. The same exact feeling I had when watching the Labyrinth. It some how seemed familiar to me. That's because it was. The art that David had created was imprinted into the culture that we have today. Both the song Starman and the movie the Labyrinth felt like home to me. Reason, being...I was introduced to David Bowie as a child and his impression has stayed on me and with me, even after all of these years. That, that's impressive.


"David Bowie has always been an incredible singer to me. He was sorta like an idol for me. He looked cool, he never really cared all that much about what others thought, and he made amazing music. He was awesome and his music and disposition on life influenced me. His music taught me beauty and gave me the ability to understand my own heart." 
- Seth Crow

People all over where remarkably influenced by the man who was not afraid to express who he was fully with out fear. That is a respectable trait that many people wish they could obtain. Through his expression in the arts David Bowie has opened the hearts and minds of others to do the same. He has left gigantic foot marks in the ground that no one else could ever fill in the way that he did. A man who's art is so powerful that his work will be admired for now and for many more years to come. He worked hard up until his very death, which was a surprise to everyone right after releasing his new album "Black Star"


*********************

                     A life well lived if I do say so myself. Many accomplishments, many acknowledgements, many ground breaking movements. One life changing, soul rearranging fellow. David Bowie, a man I met as a child, but discovered as an adult. A man who is truly out of this world! Rest in peace David.

"How you turn my world, you precious thing."
-Labyrinth


Links for Photos

1 comment:

  1. I found it interesting how you used quotes of younger people to show how much he has affected peoples lives even after he had peaked. To be remembered even after he had taken it easy after all of his awards and recognitions truly is a feat.
    ~ S. Oliva

    ReplyDelete