Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Fly on Starman

Bowie as Ziggy Stardust

Bowie has always been always fond of a grand finale, and his death this week just confirms it. In the weeks preceding his death, musician, humanitarian, punk, father, husband, civil rights activist, etc., celebrated 69 years of life on the day he released his 26th and final studio album Blackstar, only two days before his death. Bowie had been suffering from liver cancer for 18 months before the final curtain closed on the Grammy award winning artist on Monday. When I put on my headphones to listen to his new album for the first time this past Saturday, I would have never thought that it would be the last time I heard new songs from a man whom I had idolized since middle school. While his fans, and even close friends, had no idea that this prolific artist was approaching his final days, Bowie himself was preparing his grand finale.


Bowie has always unabashedly been himself, weather he was in a suit or sequins. From single-handedly making androgyny cool by pushing the boundaries of gender and fashion, to publicly shaming MTV for its lack of black artists in the early 80’s, Bowie is a mentor and a role model to the downtrodden, the freaks, the outcasts, and the losers of this world. Bowie made being downtrodden, a freak, a loser, cool. It was okay to be different. His message was to be yourself and care less about what anyone else has to say about you. Everyone finally had someone to look up to; a Starman. The love that the people have for Bowie was most certainly reciprocated. He knew that he was dying and released Blackstar as his final goodbye to his fans, friends, and family.

Toni Visconti, producer of Bowie’s final album, attests to the fact that the album was carefully constructed and timed in its release. Although the album was recorded in early 2015, Bowie saved the album’s release for the end of his life in order to leave his beloved fans with a final parting gift. The most poignant track, and first single, “Lazarus”, off of the album is an intentionally thinly veiled personal goodbye from the artist. When the haunting intro began, slowly pulling me in with the dark bass line and crying brass instruments whining their regret, I was not prepared for the first lines “Look up here, I’m in Heaven!”. I never thought that the longing for the dead I felt in that moment would soon be for Mr. Bowie. I couldn’t help but laugh to myself on Monday morning when I awoke to see the shocking news of his passing, quickly followed by those lyrics scrolling through my head. Cheeky bastard, you. You did it your way.

Interesting story. In the late 1960’s, David Bowie was working as a song writer for a musical publisher in Denmark Street, London. It was there that he re-wrote the lyrics to a French song by artist Claude Francoise named “Comme D’Habitude”, renaming the track “Even a Fool Learns to Love”. The English copyright was soon purchased by Canadian songwriter Paul Anka before Bowie, causing his song to never be released. What makes this story so interesting is that the music of “Comme D’Habitude” and the lyrics written by Anka would come to be widely considered one of the most popular songs of all time, “My Way”, performed by Frank Sinatra. Now don’t feel bad everyone. What have we learned about Bowie? This man REFUSES to be held back or kept down. Fueled by the success of Sinatra’s “My Way”, Bowie responded by writing the masterpiece “Life on Mars” to the exact same chord progression of “My Way”. The notes in the album lining simply read “Inspired by Frankie”. So, truthfully, we all owe Paul Anka a huge favor.

The main thing to take away from that story is a.) Bowie is badass and b.) Bowie’s breadth of influence, not only in music, but television and film is extensive. I know there are individuals out there who upon hearing news of Bowie’s passing were not really sure of who the musician was or anything that he had created. And to that I say, just look a bit more carefully and you will have crossed paths with Bowie. Remember the walk-off in Zoolander? The judge with the feathered hairdo?  David Bowie. You know how catchy the intro to that Vanilla Ice song “Ice Ice Baby” is? David Bowie. Remember the King of Goblins from that movie you loved as a kid, “The Labyrinth”? David Bowie. That funny character Lord Royal Heighness from Sponge Bob Square Pants? David Bowie. The episode from Flight of the Conchords where Bret is getting cosmic advice from a ghost on how deal with body image issues? Parody of David Bowie. Not to mention the impact that his songs have had as the backdrop for countless films and TV shows. 

Whether you love Bowie, or don’t know Bowie, there are valuable lessons that every single person can take away from this great man’s life and career.

1.) Always be yourself even when it’s hard
2.) Embrace change
4.) Go big or go home
5.) Live life on your terms

And for everyone whose heart is still breaking from the loss, just remember this; As of 1998, Bowie's greatest regret (according to the Proust Questionnaire given by Vanity Fair) was that he had never worn bell bottoms. And from what I can see........
                                       .........we can all rest easy knowing that David Bowie truly had no regrets.


While it may seem that Bowie has been grounded, he will always be my Starman waiting in the sky. 

Your Author Channeling Her Inner Ziggy Stardust
-Erica Schoenagel-


2 comments:

  1. I really liked your opening sentence, I had been circling that same thought but was unabke to succinctly capture it as eloquently as you have. A word I wish I had used that I feel from your descriptors is "iconic." I appreciate your willingness to bounce around and touch on the many facets that a personal sort of relationship existed, your tone is personal and direct as a result. the persona/character was friendly as it should have been. really nice piece.
    -Chris

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you write!

    I'm watching/listening to a lot of Bowie songs on YouTube. For about the last five days, I've been going to town with his songs that I already know, listening very repetitively to the same five or six, then spinning off into other stuff, Bowie covers. It's almost like I'm attempting hypnosis/autohypnosis through his songs.

    But I get to this point where I can't zone out or space out. I have to listen to his lyrics. I have to listen to his vocal range, emotion. And I key in on the horns, keyboards, etc. It breaks me out of my premeditated "ohm" and into feeling.

    Great stuff!
    -Greg

    ReplyDelete