Tuesday, January 12, 2016

But Who Exactly Is David Bowie?

Who exactly is David Bowie? Not exactly a question I can answer for you directly off hand. For some of us “millennials” we weren’t blessed with knowing the person that is David Bowie. Ask me who Justin Bieber is, I can tell you his life story, ask me who Kim Kardashian is, I will tell you 25 reasons never to ask that question again. But David Bowie… who? Was he famous for acting?

I know the name but I couldn’t tell you much about his history. Sad? I know. Staring at his picture blankly trying to remember just one song….nothing. Sorry universe, in some way I feel like I am letting you down and honestly, I will be the first to admit I should probably know more. I understand he was a creative genius, creating some of the world’s most iconic hits. But why, for the life of me can’t I think of a single thing about this man?

We can all do a google search on David Bowie and discover the journey that was his life and the pathways he torched. But, what I found the most interesting were the things that were discovered behind the bold words of his bibliography. The things about him that spoke to me specifically and although these things may not have touched the universe, they touched the universe that is in me.

So finally, to the 10 most interesting (to me) facts about David Bowie that the world may or may not know. Not only did these facts teach me about David, they taught me about life and the way that we live it in general.

1). David was married to Iman for more than 23 years, but for David it was love at first sight. He is quoted saying he, “was naming the children the first night we met”.

Because who doesn’t want a man who knows what he wants from the first night? Seems to me, he was the type of person who had his sh*t together, one we all strive to be. Reading about their love recreated a belief in me that true love does in fact…..exist. And the privacy they kept between them was refreshing in more ways than one.


He found great achievements in the smallest of things and found happiness in the simplest of things that we often take for granted each day:

2). When asked what his greatest achievement was David answered, “discovering morning”.

3). When asked what is his idea of perfect happiness David answered simply, “Reading”.

David taught me that in life it is okay to be selfish, especially when it comes to your dreams stating,

4). “All my big mistakes are when I try to second-guess or please an audience. My work is always stronger when I get very selfish about it.”

He also taught me that there is beauty in the unknown journeys of life, and that we are not alone in not knowing the direction of our lives but we can be hopeful that it will be great.

5). David stated, “I don’t know where I’m going from here but I promise it won’t be boring.”
More of David’s quotes can be found here, http://elitedaily.com/entertainment/david-bowie-quotes-music/1342895/

One of the seemingly most charitable things about David was his ability to keep things light. Some of the answers to David’s famous Vanity Fair personality test proved this trait to be true.

More of those questions can be found here, http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2016/01/david-bowie-proust-questionnaire

6). When asked what is greatest fear in life is he replied, “Converting kilometers to miles” because anyone who has traveled to Europe without being the best at math knows this struggle.

7). When asked what quality he likes the most in a woman David replied, “The ability to burp on command”. So, Iman did you live up to this quality?

8). When asked what is greatest regret was, David responded, “That I never wore bell bottoms”. WHAT?

9) And finally, when asked what historical figure he identifies with the most he responded, “Santa Claus”. Believable considering all things he gifted to the world.

But the thing that inspired me the most and the thing that I related to the most about David was his viewpoint on misery in life. David is quoted stating,

10). “Living in fear” is the lowest depth of misery in this life.

Because he was known to live boldly and inspired others to do so, this to me was the quote for the books.


To recap, David was one inspirational figure, truly cutting edge for his time. But, he contributed so much to the world outside of his music. He taught us about the importance of love, the appreciation of the simple things in life, the highs and lows of the journeys in life, but most importantly the importance of remaining light and bold in all aspects of our lives.

So David, even though I didn’t know much about your music, thank you for your contributions to the world, musically and intellectually.  

2 comments:

  1. Regarding #3 on your list, the Loyola/Notre Dame library posted a link on their Facebook page to the NYPL where you can find a list of David Bowie's favorite 100 books. - Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the photo you incorporated at the end of the post. It seems to really personify who he was. Nancy

    ReplyDelete