Saturday, January 9, 2016

The Power of Courage by Allison Miller

I love the power of words.
I still journal by hand and create many drafts of my business communications with pen and paper as I am a strong believer that sorting through words on paper has a power all its own.
When I was a freshman in high school, my history teacher asked us to read The Red Badge of Courage and write a book report.
I read the book (sorta) but used Cliff Notes to help me gain a better understanding of the themes and metaphors because I was told in the fourth grade that I was hopelessly inept at reading comprehension.
That prognostication still lives with me.
Evidence of the power of words, particularly on the young.
I formulated my own perspective of The Red Badge of Courage by reading other people’s interpretations and crafted my book report.
It was flawless.
A bit too flawless, however, because my teacher asked me if I’d plagiarized another book report.
I was mortified and petrified, earned an 85 (a perfect score of 100 minus 15 points for using Cliff Notes), and made a life-changing discovery.
I learned that I had the ability to read and listen to other’s perspectives and articulate an amalgamation of their thoughts along with my own beautifully.
Although my innate writing ability has enabled me to craft a career doing something I enjoy, I long to develop a voice that is clear, crisp, and concise, as well as a keen understanding of how to use and measure the impact of the Internet and social media in business, public relations, and marketing when it comes to words.
So I practice.
On paper.
Beyond my “day job”, my passion is to share my story of triumph as a domestic abuse “thrivor” – not just survivor - to encourage, inspire, and empower. I am not only compelled to support other “thrivors” but to tell those in the legal and judicial system of the emotional, psychological, and financial vulnerability women face when we take a stand to end the cycle of domestic violence and courageously (that word again) create a new and better life. Learning to craft an impactful message in this endeavor is not only necessary but critical in order for me to become an effective advocate. I know it is my purpose.
I long to be of service to others, particularly women, as I think we have a unique struggle to find our voices and stand in our truth.
I also needed to model this desire to my amazing daughter – the impetus for me reaching within to find the courage to create a new and better life.

And ironically, according to Mark W. Schaefer and Stanford A. Smith, the authors of Born to Blog, that appears to be what blogging is all about.
Schaefer and Smith offer a marvelous approach to finding our authentic voice in the world and the courage to speak it boldly. It mirrors my journey in life and in the boldness required to become an entrepreneur:
  • Be comfortable being vulnerable.
  • Speak your truth.
  • Try - you don't have to know everything to start.

Much like out case study Katie in Born to Blog, we not only owe it to our readers but to the world to be our full authentic selves out loud.
I am hoping that my 50 years on this planet will help others arrive at a place of poise and power much sooner than I did, whether it’s through my writing, my presence, my participation, or my professional footprint.
So perhaps you can take a few of the inspirational words I’ve gathered along to power your own pursuits.
It is our responsibility to fulfill the reason we were born.
The world is waiting on us to fill a place no one else can fill.
It’s not arrogance or demagoguery but our obligation to the Creator.
Somewhere someone is looking for exactly what we have to offer so let’s get to it.
Courageously.


3 comments:

  1. Allison, you mention advocacy...is blogging going to be your primary medium or do you also plan to join organization's? I enjoyed your read and applaud your courage!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allison, you mention advocacy...is blogging going to be your primary medium or do you also plan to join organization's? I enjoyed your read and applaud your courage!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Just wow. I think you should know you do write in a clear and concise way - your blog is very easy to read, but your passion for your career and your life jumps off the page (screen?). You write in a powerful way and it is great! I think that you have a lot to offer professionally through blogging. However, I think you could reach a lot of people on a personal level if you blogged about your "thrivor" status (I love that term, by the way!). I think you could really make a difference! - Tessa

    ReplyDelete