Saturday, January 9, 2016

A New Place to Live


Nancy Tabor

I’m from Baltimore, Maryland and grew up in a suburban neighborhood with my family. Today, I live in Easton on the Eastern Shore. I recently got married and moved into a new home. My husband has lived here for many years and is well known. Before I moved, I didn’t know much about this historic town.

Some places I really love to go include:

1.     A pizza place, which is somewhat seedy but serves the best pizza in town. It's called Roberto's and all of the cops and sheriffs hang out there because Roberto's brother-in-law is on the force and Roberto doesn't hire convicts.

2.     The Avalon is my favorite place in Easton. It’s a small theatre that presents musical performances. We have seen many good performers there. It’s a throwback to another era.

3.     Captain’s Ketch Seafood is a town favorite for finding the freshest seafood, caught that morning.  American flags are everywhere here, in front of restaurants, businesses, homes; and I was struck by their patriotic signage, which introduces you to their colorful little roadside shack.

While I’m getting myself acclimated to the new life here, I am taking courses at Notre Dame to get a graduate degree in communications. Previously, I had taken a course in project management and photography. I found photography both fun and challenging because there’s always something new to see and explore in town and nearby. I wasn’t so good at the mechanics of the camera, the different settings and accessing my photos. after I saved them but by the end of the course it got a bit easier.

For a birthday gift, my husband gave me a book on a photographer I learned about in class who seemed to be very interesting. I heard her on NPR one day and found the interview to be fascinating. Her name is Sally Mann and she just wrote a memoir about her photographs and her life. I also got as a present a book of her photography and her images are captivating.


I am very thankful that I can take courses online because it gives me a way to interact with other students and the professor. I didn’t know much about blogging before signing up for this online course and its good to be able to learn online and make a new start with a new course. I want very much to do the right thing with this course as I haven't always done so before.

7 comments:

  1. My brother Ed moved from Baltimore to Easton in 2009. He teaches at St. Peter and Paul High School and describes Easton as a small town where everybody knows everybody else. I agree with him because I have visited him many times and when we walk downtown to a restaurant or pub, he is always greeted by people he knows - present or past students, parents, and fellow teachers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once you connect with someone here, it seems it is easier to connect with someone else in a small town. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  2. When I retire, I'm definitely headed to a small town. I don't want the hustle and bustle of city life - and I abhor traffic!!!! Good to hear you found the beauty in Easton.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nancy, I was in your photography class and I think you did very well! And I was excited to see some of your favorite places listed as placed you took pictures of! Sally took some cool pictures, for sure! Interesting subject matter, though :)

    ReplyDelete